The Cantú Queer Center welcomes students of all identities to join our staff. Intern applications are available during the spring quarter of every academic year. Students may appiy via the Career Center's Employee Request System.
The center's budget allows for a small staff of student interns. Interns are vital to the smooth functioning of the center. The library, QConnect weekly e-news, reception, outreach tabling, website editing, programs, and publicity are some of the many projects interns focus on. Intern hours range from six to ten per week. When positions are open, they are posted on the Career Center website and are announced in QConnect. We give priority to workstudy eligible interns who are able to make a one year commitment.
I'm very excited to be continuing my second year as Graduate Student Education Coordinator at the Cantú this year. I am here at UCSC as an MA student in Literature, researching memory, feminisms, and Jewish American literature after WWII. I have been teaching middle school history and English in Oakland and Alameda since graduating from Brandeis University in Waltham, MA in 2009. I'm a trained peer counselor and have led trainings in community building, as well.
As the Grad Student Intern, I am focusing on outreach to queer grads and catering to the specific needs of our community here. I am also working to support the various exciting undergraduate events on campus. Looking forward to meeting you here at the center or at any one of our upcoming events!
- Hello! I'm Sarah or Shark, she/her/her, and I'm a 4th year Politics and Feminist Studies double major who is starting a Literature minor. I'm the lead intern here at the Cantú. I also lead Ace of Clubs, the asexual/aromantic support group, and Queer Coffee House on Tuesdays. When I'm not busy with school work or working here at the Cantú, I like to cook, knit, hang out with my cat, Connor, and play video games. I also make fantastic vegan kettle, so if you stop by while I'm on shift, feel free to ask for some!
- Hey there, I'm Elí (they/them). I am going into my fourth year here at UCSC pursuing a degree in History and Literature. I am an agender queer latinx cat lover whom you can typically find complaining about everything, crying, and drinking coffee. I am involved in many different things across campus including student government, Greek Life, and working as a tour guide for the campus. I also facilitate Familia X and the Queer and Trans People of Color group here at the Cantu. I hope to see y'all around!
- Hey! My name is Satveer (rhymes with fat deer) and my pronouns are they. I am a third year double majoring in psychology and literature (concentration: creative writing) and this is my first year interning at the Cantu. I also work at the CARE office, so come say hi! I love watching shitty tv shows or anime and reading. I may look serious most of the time, but that is because I have RBF so don't be afraid to strike up a convo :)
- Hello! My name is Mary and I use she/her pronouns. I'm an office coordinator here at the Cantú! I'm a second-year Crown affiliate studying biology. When I'm not busy I love playing video games, reading, making and drinking coffee, and listening to podcasts. Feel free to talk to me about any of those things!
Hey Everyone! I go by Nathan or Nate and I use he/him/his pronouns. I am a fourth year majoring in Psychology and Environmental Studies ( ENVS is more of a hobby now because I would rather be helping deconstruct our oppressive society). I will be joining the Cantú Queer Center as one of the new LGBT Peer Educators working with the Gender and Sexuality Specialist in the Peer to Peer Program. I worked with SHOP (Student Health Outreach & Promotion) this past year and I was a Resident Assistant at Rache Carson College (formerly College Eight) before that. On campus, I work towards student health, well-being, visibility, inclusivity, and support for all of my peers and friends, especially those that have multiple identities and live with intersectionality every day. I like music, dancing, video games, animals, food and cooking for people. I am excited to be joining the team and to work with everyone!
Hi, I'm Sam (He/Him pronouns please), and I am a Senior Plant Science major from college 10. At the cantú center, I am a programming assistant. I also love playing rugby, cooking, and watching cartoons.
- Hi! I'm Nicole (she/her), the Cantu's new graphic design intern. I am a third year Computer Science major, and outside of class I take part in women's rugby, Student Union Assembly, and MESH (Mixed Ethnicity Student Headquarters). I enjoy sports, politics, and Tegan and Sara. I look forward to helping out at the Cantu any way I can!
- Hi! I'm Courtney (she/her) and I'm a third year sociology major. I'm the Cantú's social media & marketing intern, and in my free time I like to go to the ocean, dye my hair, and listen to Hilary Duff (my favorite pop princess of the early 2000's).